In the U.S., makeup and personal care are part of a multi-million dollar industry that's constantly trying to sell us new...
Skincare can be confusing and complicated
Although skincare is one of the fastest growing markets within the beauty space, many women remain overwhelmed by the number of products available and are often confused about how to use them. In fact, one study shows that 87% of women reported they didn’t know how to establish a skincare routine that works for them.
At the same time, shoppers are becoming more aware of the harmful effects many beauty products can have and are actively seeking to avoid these products. This information is only leading to more confusion about which products are actually healthy--not harmful--to our skin.
A trusted skincare routine inspired by natural, ancient beauty rituals
aavrani provides women with a simple and effective skincare routine that is inspired by ancient Indian beauty routines. All of our products are all-natural and our four-step ritual has been tried and tested by generations of Indian women.
Our products were designed to empower women and make them feel more confident on the inside and out. As such, we also donate a portion of our sales to supporting young women’s education in India through our partnership with the Shanti Bhavan School.
The aavrani ritual
The aavrani ritual delivers a complete skincare routine in four easy steps that work together to achieve your most radiant glow.
- Step 1: Glow Activating Exfoliator (cleanser + mask) - core ingredients: turmeric neem oil, raw honey
- Step 2: Balance Restoring Serum (toner) - core ingredients: tea tree oil, chamomile flowers, cucumber
- Step 3: Softening Hydra-Whip (moisturizer) - core ingredients: coconut oik, rosehip seed, shea nut
- Step 4: Eye Rejuvenating Elixir (eye treatment) - core ingredients: almond oil, rose water, vitamin E
500+ 5 star reviews + 30%+ returning customers
aavrani has been an instant hit with customers! We’ve received over 500 five star reviews on our products, and have maintained a 30% repeat purchase rate (this appears to be nearly double the industry standard, based on our founder's experience investing in the skincare industry). Currently, our profit margins are at 84% and we have already reached $1M+ in revenue in 2019 alone.
Diverse consumer base with long term growth potential
Our products work across skin types and tones, and we’ve attracted a number of diverse consumers, all looking to simplify and improve their skincare routine.
84% gross margins on sales
aavrani is digitally native with 100% of our current sales coming from our own website. We have a variety of different products available to purchase with prices ranging from $55 - $200. Customers can purchase a single product or the complete ritual set. We are currently seeing 84% gross margins on sales.
$18B+ market in the US alone
The natural skincare space is growing 30% year-over-year and is becoming a larger part of the $18B U.S. skincare market. Comparatively, the makeup industry grew just 4% in 2018. As a natural alternative, aavrani reaches consumers in both the prestige skincare and clean skincare markets. Natural beauty is also growing faster than any other category in the beauty space.
The aavrani edge
aavrani is the only Indian-inspired beauty company with an edge on our competitors. One of the co-founders helped build another skincare company that was just bought by Unilever for $500 million. That kind of hands-on experience building another brand that successfully grew to over $80 million in sales is unmatched. Our exclusive relationships with partners and resources means we deliver the best products available to our customers. We also have a loyal network of early adopters and repeat customers, and can draw from our team’s experience in the industry to meet our customers’ needs.
Scaling and growth
- Ritual Discovery Set Launching in Q4 of 2019
- All 4 products in travel sizes ($65) packaged as "holiday set" for gifting & customer acquisition tool
- Product line expansion: additional skincare treatments in final stages of R&D
- Oil-based cleanser (need, sandalwood); face serum (rice bran oil, saffron); lip balms & scrubs (kokum butter, cane sugar & Himalayan sea salt)
- Vertical expansion opportunities
- Haircare, body care, general personal care
Exit strategy in a highly acquisitive industry
The beauty industry has many large dominant players like L’Oreal and Estee Lauder. These companies are no longer in the business of building new brands, why would they -- they could spend $50 million to create a brand and it is a coin flip as to whether or not the market will accept it. Instead, budgets have shifted from R&D to M&A. There have been a series of acquisitions in the past few years of prestige skincare companies by the larger players. They are buying strong brands, authenticity, and innovation. Aavrani is poised to capitalize on this trend in the next 5-7 years.
Committed to female empowerment and making an impact
- Minority Woman owned
- More than 52% of the company is minority women owned
- Impact through improved confidence of women in the workplace
- A 2018 study in the British Journal of Dermatology revealed that adult women with an acne diagnosis have a 63% higher chance of developing depression and lacking confidence in the workplace. Our products help combat this epidemic and significantly improve the lives of thousands of women.
- Impact through minority women empowerment
- Our entire employee base is made up of minority women and we are focused on continuing to empower dozens and eventually hundreds of women, impacting their livelihoods and uplifting their communities.
- Impact through female empowerment
- According the Pew Research Center, the majority of Americans think that women are held to higher standards when in top executive business positions. By creating a company owned and run by females, we break that mold and empower women by delivering Rooshy's message and story.
- Scalability of Impact
- Because our impact is based on the number of women who interact with our brand and use our products, our impact is highly scalable and requires no additional investment. The larger we grow, the bigger our impact.
- Impact through being Animal Cruelty Free
- aavrani is Leaping Bunny Certified and is completely free of any animal products/ingredients.
The two Co-Founders have each put in over $100,000 of their own capital. Other investors include General Catalyst’s Rough Draft Ventures, First Round Capital’s Dorm Room Fund, AmplifyHer, The MBA Fund, Wharton Impact Venture Associates, and a variety of notable angel investors in the beauty and consumer space.
Rooshy Roy - Former finance professional at Goldman and Warburg Pincus, Rooshy leads the team as CEO focused on product, branding, and marketing. Growing up as a child of immigrants, Rooshy brings the authentic rituals from her family to the products aavrani produces.
Justin Silver - Former consumer investor/operator at Tatcha (skincare company acquired by Unilever for $500M in 2019), Justin leads the team as COO focused on operations, HR, and supply chain.